Monday, March 5, 2012

Surprise! Fiesta!

I was requested to make a cake for a surprise birthday party with a Mexican theme, I wasn't given any direction besides "chili peppers and a sombrero" so I had free reign.
I love that feeling, because I can come up with something like this:

Chilies, Tortilla Chips, Salsa, Cacti, a Sombrero, all on a cow skin rug!

Homemade marshmallow fondant was used for each piece. The cow rug was my favorite part of all of this, this is actually the underside so that the spots looked more natural. I hope to have a design that calls for another cow skin in the future, it was a fun challenge.

A close up of the salsa, in it's own little footed bowl.

Just a little more of that wrinkly rug. :)
This was a chocolate chip cake, with cream cheese icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment